In today’s podcast I chat to Lisa Jane Merridue from Doula Mamma who is a Conscious Birthing Doula based in Brighton here in the UK.
[spp-player optin=”off” ctabuttons=”off” url=“youraudio.mp3″]
If you’ve listened to any of my positive birth stories then you will have heard many of them talk about hiring a doula to help them to prepare for their birth. The thing is not many people know what a doula is, and have maybe never even heard of one. Before I was pregnant, if you had said the word doula to me I would never had known what you were talking about. And yet, they are the unsung heros, helping parents-to-be bring their babies into the world calmly and confidently.
The case for using a doula is very strong. Here is a brilliant article that talks about what a doula is and why you should use one, but just quickly take a look at some of the stats mentioned that support the case for using a doula in your birth
When continuous labour support was provided by a doula, women experienced a:
- 31% decrease in the use of Pitocin*
- 28% decrease in the risk of C-section*
- 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth*
- 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
- 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
- 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience*
To read more about this check this article: The Evidence for Doulas
What is a Conscious Birthing Doula?
Well I think the best person to answer that is Lisa-Jane, so here is how she describes her work as a Conscious Birthing Doula in her words
“As a Conscious Birthing Doula I ‘mother the mother’, supporting, encouraging, empathizing, sign posting, empowering, enabling, nurturing, educating, attending births, post natal support, regularly taking professional enhancement courses – so looking after myself is very important. It takes shape in Hatha and Kundalini Yoga, meditation, and the practice of Birth Art personally as well as teaching it for pregnant mothers. As with each birth we rebirth, our heart centers open even more to love our new child and we change and learn about the new family dynamics and who we are in our new role and this follows for each birth a Doula attends.”
During our chat, Lisa-Jane shares
- how doulas typically support mums and dads during the lead up to the birth and during the birth
- how she works with families post-natally
- some interesting statistics around home births and inductions
- reasons why home births are preferable
- a fab story about one mamma’s ecstatic birth
- how your deepest fears are likely to crop up in your birth around the transition
- some lovely rituals that you can adopt in your birth to stimulate oxytocin
AND SO MUCH MORE!!
Youv’e just got to listen! Lisa-Jane is simply fabulous!
Have you thought about hiring a doula? Or maybe you’ve worked with one already… how was it? Tell me in the comments!